HOW VEGANS GET PROTEIN, IRON AND CALCIUM

In this post I will be showing you how vegans actually do get protein, iron and calcium by naming 10 foods that are rich in each nutrient. I chose protein, iron and calcium in particular since they seem to be the ones that people think are hard to get enough of through a vegan diet. Throughout my time as a vegan, a countless amount of people have approached me and said something about how being vegan is unhealthy due to a “lack of nutrients” you get eating a vegan diet. I just want to somewhat prove them wrong. I think it’s so ridiculous how people think veganism is unhealthy, I want everyone to know that it’s quite the opposite. So I hope with this post you will learn that vegans do get these 3 nutrients without having to necessarily take pills or supplements.

PROTEIN

Protein is in absolutely every food. Even junk food contains protein. Obviously there are more protein-dense foods than others, but from what I’ve heard as long as you are eating enough calories, you aren’t going to be protein-deficient. Vegan foods that are rich in protein include:

• Soy products
  • Beans and legumes
  • Seeds
  • Nuts
  • Dairy-free milk
  • Leafy greens
  • Quinoa
  • Mushrooms
  • Oats
  • Broccoli

IRON

Iron is a really easy nutrient to get enough of as a vegan. It’s found in so many foods that you wouldn’t expect to be. Vegan iron sources include:

• Beans and legumes
  • Quinoa
  • Spinach
  • Dried fruits
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Kale
  • Soy products
  • Sesame seeds
  • Broccoli
  • Blackstrap molasses

CALCIUM

No you don’t need to drink animal’s breast milk to get calcium. Vegan calcium sources include:

• Soy products
  • Non-dairy milks
  • Broccoli
  • Kale
  • Almonds
  • Oranges
  • Blackstrap molasses
  • Beans
  • Chia seeds
  • Bok choy
  • Blackstrap molasses

9macey

7 Comments

1. Wow Macey! I know I haven’t commented until now, but I have been genuinely enjoying your blog. I love reading your post when they come up on the dashboard 🙂

2. Hey Macey
    I have always wondered how vegans get their protein, iron and calcium. It is a really good post.